Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Steam bending...




Sunday was Canal Fest Day at Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum. John volunteers there helping build an 1800's canal boat. The boat is being built in sections, never to be joined so visitors can how they were constructed. Bus loads of school kids come every year to learn about the canal and the boats.

This Sunday John helped with demonstrations on steam bending wood. Thursday they asked him if he could also appear somewhat in costume. The weekend saw me putting the finishing touches on a somewhat authentic (thanks to the internet) canal builder's shirt. John tells me the demonstrations (and the shirt) were a success and that many good looking women asked to have their pictures taken with him. (I confess, after the first bend of the wood, I decided reading a good book back at the car was my idea of a pleasant way to pass a Sunday afternoon.)

No comments: